Connect with us


Family cat helped Kansas homeowner discover fire



Kansas – A family cat helped homeowners locate a fire in their Manhattan  home.

Just before 9a.m. Wednesday, crews were dispatched to 2905 Hickory Court for a report of a fire in a single-story home possibly extinguished by the occupants, according to Deputy Chief Ryan Almes.

Upon arrival, crews found a home with light smoke inside.  A fire was found beneath the fireplace in the ceiling cavity between the main floor and basement.

The fire was contained within about 15 minutes.

The occupants reported that their cat was scratching at a closet door and upon opening the door, they discovered the fire above the ceiling of the closet.

Loss is estimated at $25,00 to contents and $15,000 to the structure, according to Almes.  The fire cause is accidental due to an issue with the fireplace.