TOPEKA, Kan. – The Shawnee Co. Sheriff’s Office is entering into Phase III of accident reporting. The Sheriff’s Office also says to limit travel during the inclement weather.
The Topeka Police Department also announced around 2:00 a.m. the city is under the walk-in accident reporting phase.
TPD says during walk-in accident reporting phases, it will only respond and investigate accidents that fall under the following:
- Injury, possible injury or death to any person
- Possible impairment of a driver due to drugs or alcohol
- Hit-and-run incidents
- Incidents where there is a disturbance between the parties involved
- Any hazardous material situation
- When the accident results in major traffic congestion
- When there is damage to a vehicle to the extent that towing is required
TPD says other drivers involved in accidents should exchange insurance information, registration and contact information and call the Department at 785-368-9551 or to go to the Law Enforcement Center to report an incident.